Brent Council's NQT Team provides a professional and coordinated 'Appropriate Body' service that supports the induction of NQTs in all schools and settings. The service provides guidance, advice and training relating to the induction process with quality assurance that is fully compliant with the Department for Education’s statutory requirements.
Our service comprise:
• A 'Welcome to Brent' autumn conference for NQTs and Understanding Induction' training for NQTs and 'Supporting Induction' sessions for tutors, in the autumn, spring and summer terms to explain the requirements, roles and expectations of statutory induction.
• A support programme of focussed network meetings/workshops for NQTs.
• Network meetings for meeting.
• A ‘named contact’ person with whom NQTs may raise concerns about their induction programme.
• An online registration service linked to the National College of Teaching and Leadership (NCTL) database that automatically checks the NQT's Qualified Teacher Status.
• Informing the NCTL about NQTs who have left part way through an induction period.
• Meeting with Heads and NQTs to determine if a reduced induction period applies.
• Monitoring progress throughout the induction period through scrutinising termly reports and (in the event of 'C' and 'D' graded performance) conducting observation of teaching and providing feedback and advice.
• Quality assuring schools’ and settings’ statutory arrangements for supporting, monitoring and assessing NQTs
• Support and advice for all involved in the induction process
• Making the final decision on whether an NQT’s performance against the relevant standards is satisfactory or an extension is required.
• Notifying NQTs, Headteachers, principals and the NCTL of decisions.
2016 - 17 Governors Learning and Development Programme
This booklet includes the details of all the courses that governors can attend over the 2016 - 17 academic year. As the year progresses governors will be advised when additional courses are arranged. Full details with booking codes are included in the booklet.
Please note: The CPD (Continuous Professional Development) Leader, or the Headteacher, must confirm your booking before you attend a training session.
Termly Update: Autumn 2016-17
Dear governors, board members, associate members and clerks
Attached is the ‘Governors’ termly update’ for the autumn term. Also attached are a number of appendices, which should be read in conjunction with the report. The report aims to provide governors with guidance on, and acts as a reminder of, your statutory duties.
Please note that the statutory information that governors are required to publish on the school’s website, or sign post, has been updated and equally important as of 1st September 2016 ALL governors must have an enhanced DBS check.
Chairs are encouraged to raise the report as an agenda item at full board and/or committee meetings.
Governor Support Coordinator
A workbook to aid in preparing for transition into secondary education.