This course is for Designated Safeguarding Leads in all key stages & Governors. Deputy & Head teachers and subject coordinators with responsibility for safeguarding are welcome to attend. No cost to schools that purchase the 2018-19 Governor and Compliance Training package.
Governing Bodies should ensure their schools designate a senior member of staff to take lead responsibility for child protection. This person should have the status and authority within the school to carry out the duties of the post including committing resources and, where appropriate, supporting and directing other staff. Designated Safeguarding Leads (DSLs) are required to have training every two years. This course will introduce new DSLs to the role or provide an update for those who have not done recent training. For colleagues who have completed training in the last 2 years, a half day refresher is also available. As a level 3 session it will provide attendees with information on reporting strategies, policies and procedures and will include input from the Local Authority Designated Officer ( LADO) . It will also cover:
It will look at the role of the designated safeguarding lead, information sharing, confidentiality, consent and what we should expect from children’s social care and other agencies.
- the legal framework and key national guidance
- Meeting statutory requirements in keeping children safe
- what to do if you believe that a child is at risk;
- managing referrals, co ordinating safeguarding work and supporting staff in their safeguarding duties
- how to make your working environment safer for children, including safe practices
- the allegations reporting framework and role of the LADO
- To ensure participants understand the role and responsibilities of the Designated Safeguarding Lead
- To develop the competence and confidence of Designated Safeguarding Leads and/or Safeguarding Governors in carrying out their role and the importance of professional challenge
- Knowledge of the child protection process including case conferences and core groups
- An opportunity to share good practice with colleagues in developing systems and procedures to meet statutory requirements to keep children safe in education
This course is for Designated Safeguarding Leads in all key stages & Governors. Deputy & Head teachers and subject coordinators with responsibility for safeguarding are welcome to attend.